Swim To Stay Trim This Summer
Heading on holiday this summer?
Dive-bombing in the swimming pool is a holiday must, but it is actually one of the best forms of exercise and can be done by just about anyone regardless of their age or fitness level.
Here are five reasons why you should be in the pool this summer:
• Underwater swimming is the only time you should hold your breath while exercising.
• If the 300,000,000 tiny air sacs (alveoli) in your lungs could be laid out flat, they would cover a home swimming pool (not an Olympic one!).
• Whilst on holiday, if you swim for only two-and-a-half hours per week that’s enough to tone the body, strengthen the heart and help prevent chronic illness.
• Swimming can burn between 500 and 650 calories per hour depending on how fast you swim.
• Heart rate is reduced when you are in the water – a person’s heart beats about 17 times per minute while swimming.