The Power Of The Plank
Sometimes it’s the simplest of moves that make the biggest difference, and when it comes to your physical fitness ‘the plank’ is right up there!
To some people doing planks can look easy and is often not included in many exercise programs. Done correctly, they have many benefits and strengthen your abs, core, hamstrings, and back – and can even help support a proper posture and improve your balance.
So if you want...
1. A toned stomach – planking helps your deep inner core muscles, making them stronger and tighter. That perfect sixpack look!
2. Flexibility – while you’re building your strength, doing the plank will also increase your flexibility in certain muscle groups, especially around your shoulders, collar bone, hamstrings and even the arches of your feet and toes.
3. Reduce backpain – The plank works for back pain because they strengthen your core, which some may say helps to reduce pain in your back. It also helps to strengthen your back muscles and especially those in your upper back.
4. Improve your posture and balance – in order to do the plank correctly, you must engage your apps to ensure that you stay upright and stable. If you want to develop this move further, and do planks regularly, you may wish to do side planks with leg extensions/raises.
5. Be happy – we know that exercise has the potential to improve your mood and planks are no exception!
...then you need to give the plank a try. It’s one of the simplest of movements – to do a plank, you must hold your body (the trunk section) off the ground, making sure to hold it in a straight line. Not allowing your hips to drop or arching your back.